Domaine d'Eugenie was created when Francois Pinault of Chateau Latour bought the Rene Engel estate in Vosne-Romanee. The domaine comprises 6.5 hectares of incredibly well-placed, largely old vines in the Vosne villages, Vosne Romanee aux Brulees,Echezeaux, Grands Echezeaux and Clos du Vougeot appellations. Frederic Engerer, the successful president of Chateau Latour, will also manage production at this fine Burgundian domaine, aided by technical manager Michel Mallard. The philosophy here is to grow Pinot Noir with a respect for nature, keeping chemical treatments to a minimum, ploughing in between rows rather than applying herbicide, whilst leaf and crop thinning is carried out to ensure grapes reach full maturity. The wines undergo a cold maceration before alcoholic fermentation and gentle extraction of the skins, ageing then follows 12 months for the villages and 15 for the 1er and Grands Crus.
One of the most famous and largest Grands Crus in burgundy the walled Clos de Vougeot was created by Cistercian monks between the 12th and early 14th centuries. The monks cleared, planted and amalgamated vineyard plots as and when they acquired them, eventually completing the final 50 ha walled vineyard by 1336. The Cistercians maintained ownership until the French Revolution, when all clerical estates were dispossessed. Clos de Vougeot was sold on to Julien-Jules Ouvrard in 1818, the year before he bought Romanée-Conti, and remained in single ownership until 1889. Since then ownership has fragmented so that today there are over 80 proprietors. The sheer size of the vineyard area means quality can be variable, particularly considering the bottom part of the vineyard reaches right down to the low-lying route national. However at its best Clos de Vougeot fully deserves its Grand Cru status, a wine different to any of the other Grands Crus, a broad, mouthfilling dense example of red burgundy that almost verges on the heavy but the greatest examples have a defintion,balance and finesse to add to this overwhelming power.