A little-known Highland distillery of ancient origin, it was for a good portion of the 20th century the only distillery north of Inverness with electricity and telephones. Until 1960 electricity was produced by two water wheels fed by water from a dam. The wheels have gone, but Teaninich whisky is no less delicious. Captain Hugh Munro, whose family had long held the seat at Teaninich castle, founded one of the first legal distilleries in Ross-shire on his estate in 1817. That original building - along with part of the Munro’s castle! - has disappeared. But the whisky legacy of the great family has remained. Teaninich is just a mile from the Cromarty Firth, where porpoises sometimes play in the waters of the Atlantic. It’s a wild place, and Teaninich offers the ideal restorative after a day spent walking in the wind and spray. Earthy and fresh, this is a restrained Highland whisky, leafy and fresh. It makes no apologies for being accessible, quietly warming from the inside with its earthy, vegetal aromas.